Sunday, December 16, 2018

Happiness is Tucker's Toofers, 2 hamburgers for 29 cents in Fondulac, Wisconsin

Originally it was 2 for 25 cents, but by the time I knew the joint in the early 1970s the "special" had gone up, like the price of the regular hamburger, to 2 for 29 cents. Food inflation was horrible in those days, as my mother often reminded me, and no one was immune.

And they're still in business:

In 1963, Rudy, Steve, and Barbara opened Tucker's Toofers at the corner of South Main Street and Pioneer Road.  The slogan then was "they're toofer 25," meaning two hamburgers for a quarter. The name Tuckers was chosen because it was the nickname of daughter Barbara, who, as a child, had a hard time staying tucked in and always kicked her blankets off. 

I've never had a bucket list, but I'm putting this place on it, for old times' sake.