Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sour Cream Blackberry Pie

I had no intention of making this. The blackberries were on sale, half off, and they were enormous. So I bought three packages, just over a pound, for three bucks. And they sat there in the refrigerator, screaming at me, "Make something with us already!"

So my first impulse was to reach for the Project Love Bethesda Cookbook, Volume III, courtesy of my cousin Ruth, in Iowa Falls, Iowa. And low and behold, there was the recipe, and I knew I had to make it because it also called for the left over sour cream which also has been waiting to be used up.

This is NOT a super foods recipe. It has fresh fruit in it, and some oat bran, which I used in place of the called for bread crumbs for the topping, but other than that, we're just talking fresh fruit delivery device here, that's it. But when you try it, you'll agree you've just had a slice of heaven. And for all you Sheboyganites out there, I guarantee it will remind you of the sour cream coffee cake we used to get from the bakery down by Prange's, and so? Same unique combination of sweet and sour, the German way. Mm. Mm. Mm.


Sour Cream Blackberry Pie

Filling:

1 cup sugar
1 cup dairy sour cream
3 T flour
.25 t salt
18 oz. fresh blackberries, washed
1 unbaked pie shell (or make your own, as the lady of the house did for me)

For the topping, mix together in a separate bowl:

.25 cup oat bran
1 T butter, melted
2 T sugar

In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour and salt, and the sour cream. Drop the berries into the unbaked pie shell prepared for the oven, and spread the sour cream mixture over the top. Sprinkle with the oat bran topping and bake at 375 degrees F. for 40 minutes.

Allow the pie to cool down completely before serving, or the filling will not hold together and ooze out all over the place. Really good ooze.